This past October I married the most wonderful man!!! As we planned our wedding, I struggled deciding on what to do about the wedding cake, as I do not eat sugar. Many of you have been asking for the recipe to this most fabulous cake! I was inspired by Deliciously Organic but made some changes to decrease the sugar and add more lemon flavor to the cake.
Coconut Cake with Lemon Curd, Whipped Cream, and Berries
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 8 eggs
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup plain whole yogurt
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 4 tbsp butter, melted
- 1/4 cup raw honey
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup honey
- 5 egg yolks
- 2 tbsp lemon zest
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- dash of sea salt
heavy whipping cream
fresh summer berries
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Butter 9” round springform pan.
- Place all cake batter ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Blend with a hand mixer until batter is fully mixed and smooth.
- Blend for an additional minute on medium to high (this will insure that the cake stays fluffy and does not fall in the middle).
- Pour half the batter into the buttered cake pan and bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown and a cake tester in the middle comes out clean. Cool completely.
- Repeat cooking process with remaining batter.
- Melt butter in a double boiler over medium heat.
- Whisk together honey, egg yolks, zest, lemon juice, and salt in a large measuring cup. Continue stirring until think like pudding.
- Allow curd to cool for a minimum of 4 hours.
- Place first half of cake on a serving tray and layer with lemon curd, whipped cream, and berries (in that order).
- Place other half of cake on top and continue the layering process.
- Serve and enjoy!!
Enjoy with a cup of milk, tea, or coffee! This cake is totally guilt free and will not cause changes in your blood sugar! Its so full of protein that I even had some for breakfast after I made it for my husband on Christmas Day!
Photo credit: Brett and Emily Photography