As Stephen has been out to sea for 2 months now, I finally feel myself settling in a routine. Staying busy and having a routine makes each day a little easier, although I constantly miss him. Mornings usually mean being awoken at 6:15 by a joyful, tail-wagging golden puppy, long walks before it becomes unbearably hot, coffee with rich cream, and always a big egg scramble. Breakfast is my favorite meal and always consists of eggs, vegetables, and cheese combined in some creation. This morning, I found a jar of artichoke hearts and sun dried tomatoes and decided to put them to good use.
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day as it jumpstarts your metabolism and will keep your energy high throughout the day. Eating quality protein and fresh vegetables instead of sugary breakfast cereals will leave you satisfied until lunch! Frittatas or baked egg dishes are an easy way to have quick morning leftovers ready to eat. Enjoy this combination of rich, creamy feta cheese and tart sun dried tomatoes to flavor your morning start.
Rise and shine!
- 6 eggs
- 3 tbsp whole milk
- 10 sun dried tomatoes
- 8 artichoke hearts (canned or fresh works fine)
- Large handful of fresh spinach
- Feta cheese crumbles
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Use coconut oil or ghee to coat the baking dish.*
- Finely chop sun dried tomatoes and artichoke hearts.
- Whisk together eggs, milk and salt and pepper.
- Place chopped vegetables and spinach at the bottom of the baking dish and pour eggs to cover.
- Sprinkle with feta cheese crumbles.
- Cover pan with foil and bake for 25 minutes. Remove foil covering and continue baking for 10-12 more minutes or until middle of egg dish is fully cooked.
- The edges of the frittata should be golden brown and slightly crispy.
*I used a 9 1/2 inch oval baking dish.