As a little girl, one of my favorite snacks was my mom’s rice krispie treats. Of course, knowing my mother, she made them without the marshmallows and instead used peanut butter to hold them together. For a grain-free alternative, the shredded coconut in these rich and creamy treats provides a bit of crunch!
These sweet little bites are packed with protein, quality, and taste! Quick to make, they are perfect for an afternoon snack on a hot summer day. Because coconut oil melts at 76 degrees, they will melt quickly in your hands so be sure to keep them cool until ready to enjoy!
Cacao and maca powders are wonderful ancient super foods containing anti-oxidants, minerals, & vitamins and have been shown to enhance moods and focus. Maca is a root that grows high in the mountains of Peru and as an adaptogen it nourishes the endocrine system and boosts adrenal function. The combination of cacao and maca will stimulate your energy, boost your stamina, and put a smile on your face.
Enjoy these sweet bites of rich, chocolatey goodness—a perfect grain-free snack for all ages!
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup cacao powder
- 2 T maca powder
- 3 T finely shredded, unsweetened coconut
- 1 T ground flaxseed
- 2 T raw honey
- dark chocolate, optional*
*For a sweeter affair, stir in chopped dark chocolate pieces.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment/waxed paper.
- Combine all ingredients and mix together.
- Using cookie/ice cream scoop, drop chocolate balls onto lined baking sheet.
- Immediately place in the freezer for 30 minutes before serving.
- Enjoy and store remaining chocolate bites in the refrigerator (if there are any left!).