Today is my Dad’s birthday—if it were up to him, he would possibly eat cheese and bacon for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I put together these savory pancakes as a special birthday treat combining his favorite foods!
When I was little, I used to stand at the edge of the kitchen counter helping my dad make pancakes on weekend mornings. On special occasions we would pack up the car and take our camping stove to the beach to enjoy a hot pancake breakfast. My dad has inspired me to keep a tradition of relaxing weekend breakfasts.
Sweet maple syrup is the perfect addition to these salty griddle cakes.
Happy Birthday Dad! Thank you for always encouraging me to excellence!
Bon Appetite, Caroline
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1 cup kefir or buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1/2- 3/4 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3/4 cup bacon crumbles
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Warm griddle to medium heat.
- Melt a pad of butter to grease the griddle.
- Using a large spoon scoop batter into heated griddle. Edges should immediately bubble.
- Flip and cook on the other side—do not overcook as almond flour will quickly dry out.
- Serve with butter and sweet maple syrup.
I use pastured pork bacon from US Wellness Meats. The pigs are farm raised and happily forage for grubs and roots. Their bacon is cured without preservatives or added sugar.