Rainy spring days and my husband out to sea for the week calls for lots of baking projects and books to read. There is something about a warm pastry with melted butter that makes gloomy days cheerful—maybe its the delicious flavor or the smell of butter reminding me of the morning aroma of French patisseries. Spring comes early in Hawaii and with that lots of juicy strawberries and fresh, colorful fruits!
Strawberries are naturally sweet and colorful, the perfect addition to your plate.
- 2 1/4 cups almond flour
- 2 eggs
- 4 tbsp coconut flour
- 4 tbsp kefir
- 3 tbsp melted butter or ghee
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- dash of nutmeg
- dash of salt
- 10 strawberries
- Combine all ingredients, except for the strawberries.
- Mix thoroughly with an electric hand mixer for 1-2 minutes.
- Slice strawberries into small cubes and fold into the dough
- Scoop dough onto greased cookie sheet
- Bake at 350 for 18 minutes**
**Depending on how juicy your strawberries are you will have to adjust the baking time appropriately.
I usually add raw honey to my baked goods, but strawberries are so juicy and sweet that I left out the honey. Strawberries are the perfect fruit as they are low in sugar and will not spike your blood sugar. If you want something a little sweeter, drizzle some raw honey on top when serving. These scones are a great breakfast or snack as they are packed with protein!
Best when served warm with a pad of butter for a perfect snack or dessert!
Where to find the ingredients…
- Almond Flour, I use Honeyville as it is finely ground and great for baking (I would not recommend Bob’s Red Mill almond flour as it is very grainy)
- Coconut Flour, Coconut Secret Raw or Bob’s Red Mill
- Raw Honey